But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. Acts 1:8
For the scripture saith, whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! Romans 10:11-15
As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away. So they, being sent forth by the Holy Ghost, departed unto Seleucia; and from thence they sailed to Cyprus.
Evangelism, speaking the gospel to everyone, announcing the Good News of salvation. When I think about evangelism Paul comes to mind. Paul went on multiple missionary journeys, evangelizing across different countries, cultures and belief systems and by no means was it easy, but it offers us a closer look at Paul’s heart and the love that he had for God and his people.
Recall Paul’s life https://acalltoholyliving.com/2018/07/29/pauls-ministry/
There are 6 things to point out that Paul encountered that could possibly happen to you when you do the work of evangelism:
- Sometimes throughout your evangelism ministry there will be places you should not go. In Acts 16:6-7 Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia, After they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go into Bithynia: but the Spirit suffered them not.
- When things are not going good still praise God. And when they had laid many stripes upon them, they cast them into prison, charging the jailor to keep them safely: Who, having received such a charge, thrust them into the inner prison, and made their feet fast in the stocks. And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them. Acts 16:22-25.
- When facing dire situations others can be saved because of your faith. During Paul’s time in prison the jail keeper and his family were saved. And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the doors were opened, and every one’s bands were loosed. And the keeper of the prison awaking out of his sleep, and seeing the prison doors open, he drew out his sword, and would have killed himself, supposing that the prisoners had been fled. But Paul cried with a loud voice, saying, Do thyself no harm: for we are all here. Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas, And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house. And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway. And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house Acts 16:26-34.
- God will have you stay in one place to share the gospel, because God knows his children and when they are not living a life of obedience and righteousness, but of wickedness. Then spake the Lord to Paul in the night by a vision, Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace: For I am with thee, and no man shall set on thee to hurt thee: for I have much people in this city. And he continued there a year and six months, teaching the word of God among them.
- There will be people you meet during your times of evangelism who love the Lord, but need a little more knowledge to be effective in evangelizing. Take the time to help those who are seeking God and want to tell other about the goodness of Jesus. And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus. Acts 18:24-28 This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John. And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly. And when he was disposed to pass into Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him: who, when he was come, helped them much which had believed through grace: For he mightily convinced the Jews, and that publickly, shewing by the scriptures that Jesus was Christ
- Always have a spiritual partner or two, Paul didn’t go alone to witness he had the help of Barnabas, Silas, Titus, Philip, Acquila, Priscilla, Timothy and Apollos and many others. And there accompanied him into Asia Sopater of Berea; and of the Thessalonians, Aristarchus and Secundus; and Gaius of Derbe, and Timotheus; and of Asia, Tychicus and Trophimus Acts 20:4. And Matthew 18:20 says, For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
Paul preached, made disciples of others during his journeys, and went back to check on them and encourage them in the faith. He appointed elders, prayed, fasted and tuned them over to God. Paul was willing to sacrifice his life to carry out the words of Jesus Christ. And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature Mark 16:15. Paul had a passion for evangelism, preaching a saving message to a dying world. Paul was a great example of the effects of evangelism and there should be an “Evangelism Explosion” in our own lives, sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ!